There are plenty of blogs and posts about what to pack when backpacking in Europe. I know because I have looked at many of them in creating my own list. Here are a few that I recommend:
- Travel Fashion Girl: Backpacking Europe in Summer
- The Savvy Backpacker: Women’s European Fashion
- The Savvy Backpacker: Travel Shoes
- Her Packing List: A Fashionista’s Packing List for 4 Months Backpacking Europe
As we traveled during the year, I took notes on what was important to me. Here is the criteria I came up with for packing:
- Must be able to put everything in one load of laundry so I don’t waste hours at laundromats, but not restricted to 50 shades of gray in terms of color.
- Must not make me look distinctly American. (American flag shirt = yes?)
- Must not look completely ridiculous in pictures either.
- Must have comfortable shoes that can conquer cobblestone streets by day and nice restaurants by night.
- Must have shower shoes.
- Must have hiking shoes.
- Must have shoes that work well in the rain.
- Must have shoes that can be worn with jeans and skirts.
- Must not have a suitcase with only shoes.
- Must have clothes that can be worn in Scotland and Spain (in hot climates and colder, rainy climates).
- Must cover knees and shoulders when entering churches.
- Must not have awkward tan lines because I will be wearing a strapless dress for a September wedding.
- Must be comfortable.
When I get a chance, I will add a picture of what I have packed to show you what decided. For now, you’ll just have to enjoy seeing what pops up in my pictures.